Demolish & Rebuild

Demolish and Rebuild a new home

Looking to demolish and rebuild your dream home?

You’ve found the property, or maybe you are staying where you currently live, and have chosen your builder – time to make sure you have everything covered.

House demolition tips

1. Who will demolish my home

You will need to find a licensed and insured Demolition Contractor to co-ordinate the demolition of your property and removal of all structures, debris and refuse. In addition, this contractor will co-ordinate the required demolition permits.`

2. Obtaining a Demolition Permit

Generally, your Demolition Contractor can source your Demolition Permit on your behalf from your council, but make sure you have checked this with them.

3. Obtaining a Building Permit

You will also need a Building Permit, to ensure your new home will comply with current building regulation. This is sourced from your local council, and is required BEFORE you can start your knockdown rebuild project.

4. Obtaining a Town Planning Permit

If an overlay exists on your block, which your builder may be able to advise on, you will need to obtain a Town Planning Permit from your local council. There are town planning specialists who can offer advice and assistance in this permit process.

5. Traffic management

Some demolish and rebuild projects located close to schools and shopping precincts may require traffic management at various stage of your project. Your builder should be able to advise whether this is applicable to your project.

6. Neighbour communication

Your existing neighbours, or if you are new to the area – your future neighbours – may experience some disruption during the knockdown and rebuild process. It is a good idea to make sure they are aware of your building timeline and provide them with updates along the way.

7. Insurance

It is important to ensure you are covered in case any damage is caused to your neighbours’ property during the demolition process which your Demolition Contractor should be insured for. Your contractor should also co-ordinate your Asset Protection Permit which covers you for any damage to existing public assets such as footpaths, kerbs and channels.

8. Temporary fencing

During the demolition phase of your knockdown and rebuild project, you will require temporary fencing to protect public safety. Your Demolition Contract will include this in their schedule of costs.

9. HIA Building Contract for your new home

Before engaging your Demolition Contractor be sure to have signed an HIA Building Contract with your nominated builder.

10. Soil test

Your builder will conduct an initial soil test before your house demolition to identify the soil category which in turn will influence the design of your foundations.

11. Site Survey

Your builder will conduct a site survey before your house demolition to identify block features, easements, setback requirements and contours.

12. Demolition Costs

Check out our demolish and rebuild calculator to assist with tracking your demolition costs.